Sydney Jewish Museum Evacuated After Bomb Threat

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
SYDNEY (JTA) — The Sydney Jewish Museum was evacuated following a bomb threat.
The bomb threat was received by museum staff on Tuesday.
All staff at the neighboring building housing the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies, Jewish Communal Appeal and United Israel Appeal also were evacuated. Police and security officials searched the buildings and allowed staff to reenter two and a half hours later.
Police are searching the area after a bomb threat was made at the Sydney Jewish Museum pic.twitter.com/AQcJfEuzLM
— Jewish News (@aus_jewishnews) February 28, 2017
The museum, dedicated to documenting and teaching the history and lessons of the Holocaust, announced the launch of its new photo exhibition last week.
NSW Jewish Board of Deputies CEO Vic Alhadeff told JTA that the building was evacuated by police as a “precaution.”
The bomb threat in Sydney came less than a day after 28 Jewish Community Centers and Jewish schools, and the San Francisco office of the Anti-Defamation League were evacuated after receiving bomb threats on Monday in the fifth wave of such threats since the beginning of the year.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
, editor-in-chief