Israel Denies Extradition Request For Teen In JCC Bomb Threats

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
JERUSALEM (JTA) — Israel’s Justice Ministry reportedly has denied a U.S. Justice Department request to extradite the Israeli-American teen charged with making threats against Jewish community centers throughout the United States.
The State Attorney’s Office in Israel told its American counterpart that though the 18-year-old computer hacker has committed crimes in 10 different countries, he will be tried in Israel, Israel’s Channel 2 first reported Sunday. The report added that the U.S. has not backed off its request and that Israel’s denial has not caused a rift in the relationship.
The teen from Ashkelon in southern Israel, who was arrested in Israel last month for making over 100 threats against Jewish sites in the U.S., has been named in the United States, but cannot be named in reports originating from Israel.
Israel’s State Prosecutor’s Office is expected to file a serious indictment against the teen on Monday, Channel 2 reported, including charges of extortion with threats, causing panic and money laundering.
Channel 2 News reported Saturday night that the teen said during interrogations in Israel that he had offered his “threat services” for payment.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
