Man Menaces French Jewish Family With Knife

(JTA) — French police detained a man on suspicion of threatening a Jewish man with a knife in the southern city of Cannes.
The Jewish man, identified by the Bureau for Vigilance Against Anti-Semitism as B. Olivier, said the suspect assaulted him Thursday morning at 11 a.m. while he was trying to cross a road with his wife and baby. Olivier said the man, who appeared to be of European heritage, failed to stop his car at the pedestrian crossing.
According to a report by the anti-semitism watchdog group known in France as BNVCA, passersby prevented the driver from continuing after he narrowly missed hitting Olivier and his family. Olivier then confronted the driver, who told him to “screw his mother.”
The driver then got out of the car with a knife and advanced toward Olivier, who was wearing a Star of David pendant, shouting that he would “kill the Jew.” Olivier and his family fled the scene.
BNVCA said police were able to identify a suspect, but did not mention whether he had been detained. The group urged the judiciary to charge the suspect with aggravated assault in an indictment that reflects the allegedly anti-Semitic character of the incident.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO