Teenage Settlers Attack Soldiers Sent To Evacuate Them From Illegal Settlement

Israeli security forces arrest a settler during the evacuation of an illegal Jewish settlement on February 1, 2017 in Amona, West Bank. Image by Lior Mizrahi/Getty Images
JERUSALEM (JTA) — Teenage settlers who erected an illegal outpost in the northern West Bank attacked Israeli soldiers who came to evacuate them.
The evacuation on Saturday was met with rocks and pepper spray, according to reports. The soldiers reportedly shot into the air and used tear gas and other riot dispersal methods to halt the attacks.
The outpost, located near the Itamar settlement and dubbed “Rosh Yosef,” in the end was not evacuated. The youths have been living there for about three weeks. They had been given an order to immediately evacuate the area on Friday, Haaretz reported.
“The IDF considers the use of violence against its troops to be very grave and will continue enforcing law and order in cooperation with other security forces,” the IDF Spokesman’s Office said, according to Ynet.
Three of the teens involved in the violence were arrested. One of the teens is a minor.
A mosque located near the Nablus in the West Bank was set on fire over the weekend in an incident believed to be connected to right-wing religious Jewish activists.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
