Israel Says It Won’t Deport African Immigrants After All

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
The Israeli government said on Tuesday it was abandoning a plan to forcibly deport African migrants who had entered the country illegally.
The government, which had been working on a plan to deport thousands of mostly Eritrean and Sudanese men to a third country against their will, said in a written response to the Supreme Court that it was no longer pursuing that option.
Israel’s immigration authority will continue to find options to deport migrants voluntarily, but their forced removal “is no longer on the agenda,” the government said.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
