Brooklyn Driver Who Killed Two Kids Faces Manslaughter

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
The driver in a Brooklyn crash that killed a 1-year-old and a 4-year-old — including the daughter of Tony award-winning Broadway actress Ruthie Ann Miles — was indicted on several charges, ABC News reported.
Dorothy Bruns, 44, reportedly faces 10 charges for prompting the March 5 tragedy, including second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, reckless endangerment and third-degree assault.
The two children were walking in a Park Slope crosswalk with their mothers, Miles and her friend Lauren Lew, when a 2016 Volvo reportedly accelerated through a red light and struck them. Abigail Blumenstein and Joshua Lew were killed. Both mothers were injured.
Bruns’ indictment came following a “thorough investigation,” which found that she had allegedly been instructed by doctors not to drive due to multiple episodes of seizures earlier in the year. It is believed that she was suffering a medical episode at the time of the crash.
“Her alleged insistence on driving despite doctor’s orders and serious medical conditions that prevented her from safely doing so was not only irresponsible, it was unlawful,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement.
Contact Haley Cohen at [email protected]
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
, editor-in-chief