Beacon School Official Threatened Over Gaza Moment Of Silence

The Beacon School, a selective public school in New York City. Image by Google Maps
(JTA) — An official at a school in New York City that held a moment of silence for Palestinian victims of violence on the Gaza border with Israel received a death threat.
William Stroud, assistant principal of Beacon School, a selective public school located in the Hell’s Kitchen area of Manhattan, told a parents meeting that he received a death threat after the May 15 moment of silence became public through media reports, the New York Post reported Sunday.
The school filed a harassment complaint with the New York Police Department.
Stroud told the parents, according to the Post, that the school had approved the moment of silence announced over the school’s public address system. A student has requested the moment of silence following a Friday border protest in which at least 60 Palestinian protesters were killed by Israeli troops.
Some Jewish parents told the Post last week following news of the tribute that they were unhappy that the school got involved in the Israel-Palestinian conflict. A Jewish student told the newspaper that the moment of silence made some of her Jewish friends uncomfortable.
Meanwhile, about 200 current and former students and parents signed a letter in support of the moment of silence.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
, editor-in-chief