Will Trump Bring Up Otto Warmbier Death At North Korea Summit?

American student Otto Warmbier was imprisoned in North Korea for over a year. Image by youtube
Vice President Mike Pence said Saturday that he had spoken with Otto Warmbier’s father earlier in the day and that President Trump was going to the peace summit in Singapore with “with the family of Otto Warmbier on his heart,” CNN reported.
Warmbier, a 22-year-old American student, was detained in North Korea for 17 months and was returned to his family “with severe brain damage and in a nonresponsive state” last June. He died later that month.
President Trump closed his news conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday by paying tribute to Warmbier’s family, saying that the student “has not died in vain.” Trump said he wanted to pay his respects to the family before his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
Neither Trump nor Pence specifically said the president would bring up the topic of Warmbier’s death at the summit, a move that could anger the prickly and reclusive dictator.
NBC News reported that Trump does not plan to mention North Korea’s abysmal human rights record at all.
Trump invited Warmbier’s parents to his State of the Union address, where they received an extended standing ovation from lawmakers of both parties.
Warmbier’s family filed a wrongful death lawsuit in April against North Korea, saying its government tortured and killed their son.
Alyssa Fisher is a news writer at the Forward. Email her at fisher@forward.com, or follow her on Twitter at @alyssalfisher
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO