Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Fast Forward

Sean Spicer Shifts Blame For ‘Holocaust Centers’ Gaffe To James Mattis

Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer seeks to shift the blame for his infamous “Holocaust centers” gaffe to Defense Secretary James Mattis in his new memoir.

Spicer claimed Mattis first claimed that Syrian president Bashar al-Assad of Syria was guilty of acts worse than Adolf Hitler and that Hitler had never used chemical weapons.

That ignored the use of gas chambers at concentration camps — which Spicer went on to clumsily call “Holocaust centers.”

“(Mattis) noted that not even Adolf Hitler had dared to use chemical weapons on the battlefield…,” Spicer explained in the book, according to quotes obtained by Jewish Insider. “When I went into the briefing room to begin the daily briefing, echoes of Mattis’s words were still with me…”

“I was doing well, talking about the president’s reaction and concern,” he continued. “But then came the sixteenth question [about Assad]… I thought to myself, ‘I got this.’ But instead of staying on the messages that had been working just fine, I tried to turn it up a notch…”

That’s when Spicer said he noticed the shift in body language within the room from reporters and White House staffers.

“I was beginning to realize I had misspoken badly… Then I noticed a calendar on my computer. It read, ‘First day of Passover.’ Reince [Priebus] came into my office. ‘Remember the first thing you taught me in media training?’ he asked. ‘Yes,’ I said sheepishly. Never compare anyone to Hitler.”

Alyssa Fisher is a news writer at the Forward. Email her at [email protected], or follow her on Twitter at @alyssalfisher

The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.

At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.

Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.

This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.

—  Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

2X match on all Passover gifts!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:

  • Credit the Forward
  • Retain our pixel
  • Preserve our canonical link in Google search
  • Add a noindex tag in Google search

See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.