Israeli Settlements No Longer Illegal According To U.S. State Department

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo makes a statement during a press conference at the State Department building in Washington, DC, on November 18, 2019. Image by JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images
The United States government no longer considers Israeli settlements inconsistent with international law, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday.
The announcement, which was greeted with support from both Israeli government and opposition figures but harshly criticized by Arab leaders, is the latest example of the Trump administration shifting longstanding policies in ways that Israel supports.
The State Department stated in 1978 that settlements were, at minimum, in conflict with legal norms. President Ronald Reagan rebuked that ruling but did not rescind it; subsequent administrations didn’t publicly address the settlements’ legal status at all.
Most other countries call the settlements outright illegal under international law.
Pompeo stated that the new determination, which he said was done by the State Department’s legal team, was “not meant to send a message” for Israel to build more settlements, noting that some of them had been found illegal by Israeli courts.
Pompeo argued that the new policy would help achieve peace in a way that the status quo did not. “We think, in fact, that we’ve increased the likelihood that the vision for peace this administration has – we’ve increased the space for that,” he said.
The secretary also said that the administration’s long-delayed peace plan would be released “when the time is right,” and stated that the legal review was not an attempt to influence Israeli domestic politics. Right-wing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and centrist opposition leader Benny Gantz are both currently negotiating to try to solve a deadlocked parliament after inconclusive elections.
A senior Israeli official told that Netanyahu had worked with the State Department “for a number of months” on the shift in policy.
Gantz praised the move in a tweet Monday. “I applaud the US government for its important statement, once again demonstrating its firm stance with Israel and its commitment to the security of the Middle East,” he wrote. “The fate of the settlements should be determined by agreements that meet security requirements and promote peace.”
But Ayman Odeh, chair of the Joint List of Arab-Israeli parties, slammed the move. “No foreign minister will change the fact that the settlements were built on the occupied land on which an independent Palestinian state will be established alongside the State of Israel,” he wrote.
Aiden Pink is the deputy news editor of the Forward. Contact him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @aidenpink
Correction, November 20: A previous version of this article claimed that the State Department has stated since 1978 that settlements were inconsistent with international law. While that 1978 ruling had not been revoked as official policy until this week, presidents and Secretaries of State who came into office subsequent to the ruling declined to publicly share their opinions of the settlements’ legal status.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO
2X match on all Passover gifts!
Most Popular
- 1
News A Jewish Republican and Muslim Democrat are suddenly in a tight race for a special seat in Congress
- 2
Film & TV What Gal Gadot has said about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 3
Fast Forward The NCAA men’s Final Four has 3 Jewish coaches
- 4
Fast Forward Cory Booker proclaims, ‘Hineni’ — I am here — 19 hours into anti-Trump Senate speech
In Case You Missed It
-
News Who would protect New York Jews better? Cuomo and Lander trade attacks on the campaign trail
-
News Rabbis revolt over LGBTQ+ club, exposing fight over queer acceptance at Yeshiva University
-
Opinion In Qatargate fiasco, Netanyahu’s ‘witch hunt’ narrative takes cues from Trump
-
Yiddish די הגדה ווי אַ לעבעדיקער דענקמאָל פֿון אַשכּנזישער פּאָעזיעThe Haggadah as a living monument to Ashkenazi poetry
אַמאָל זענען די פּייטנים, מיסטישע דיכטער־וויזיאָנערן, געווען אויבן־אָן בײַ די פֿראַנצויזישע און דײַטשישע ייִדן.
-
Shop the Forward Store
100% of profits support our journalism
Republish This Story
Please read before republishing
We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines.
You must comply with the following:
- Credit the Forward
- Retain our pixel
- Preserve our canonical link in Google search
- Add a noindex tag in Google search
See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.
To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.