5 oz/140g brown button mushrooms, quartered
4¼ oz/120g shiitake mushrooms, roughly torn in half
1 garlic clove, crushed with the side of a knife
¼ cup/60ml olive oil1 lemon: finely shave the peel to get 3 strips, then juice to get 2 tbsp
¼ oz/5g thyme sprigs
1½ tsp maple syrup
1½ tsp flaked sea salt
1 dried cascabel chile
Confit Garlic Hummus
2 heads of garlic, top fifth cut off to expose the cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
flaked sea salt and black pepper
3 tbsp ice-cold water
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
scant 2 cups/300g Basic Cooked Chickpeas or canned chickpeas
1 tbsp dill, roughly chopped
1½ tsp parsley, finely chopped
1. For the mushrooms: Heat a large grill pan on high heat and add all the mushrooms, spread out (you may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your pan). Grill for about 8 minutes, turning throughout, until all sides have dark char marks. Add the mushrooms to a medium bowl with the crushed garlic, olive oil, lemon strips, lemon juice, thyme, maple syrup, salt, and a generous grind of pepper. Mix well.
2. Add the dried chile to the grill pan and cook for 4 minutes, until fragrant. Roughly chop the chile and add it, along with its seeds, to the bowl with the mushrooms and set aside to marinate for 1–2 hours.
3. For the hummus: Preheat the oven to 425°F/200°C fan.
4. Drizzle the heads of garlic with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 40 minutes, until the cloves have softened and are golden brown. Remove the foil and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze out the cloves, discarding the papery skins.
5. In a food processor, combine the cooked garlic, water, lemon juice, tahini, chickpeas, remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and ¾ tsp salt. Blitz until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go, if necessary.
6. Spread the hummus in a shallow bowl, creating a large well in the center with the back of a spoon. Stir the dill and parsley into the mushrooms, then spoon into the well, along with the oil and aromatics. Serve at once.
Reprinted from Ottolenghi Flavor. Copyright © 2020 by Yotam Ottolenghi and Ixta Belfrage. Photographs copyright © 2020 by Jonathan Lovekin. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.