Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe
Breaking News

U.S. Official: Proposed Agreement With Iran Not Limited to Decade

The proposed nuclear agreement with Iran will not be limited to a decade, a senior U.S. official said.

On Sunday, the unnamed official who briefed Israeli journalists by phone said the deal would include several phases and last for longer than a decade, according to Israeli media reports. The official added that the world powers negotiating with Iran are “not rushing” to reach a deal.

Still, the United States plans to achieve its goal of reaching the outline of an agreement by the end of March, the official said, with the deal signed three months later.

The world powers, the official said, are working for “the right deal and we’re not rushing. We want a political agreement and we want the right agreement without having time pressures.” Also, the official said, the world powers “will not allow Iran to go nuclear.”

“We can reach a long-term agreement that will distance Iran from a nuclear weapon, an agreement that will last more than a decade, an agreement that will be better than a military strike,” the official said.

In an interview broadcast Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” President Barack Obama said the world powers have offered Iran an “extraordinarily reasonable deal,” but that gaps between the two sides remain.

Obama said that Iran must be willing to “accept the kind of verification and constraints on their program that so far, at least, they have not been willing to say yes to.”

He also said that the United States and the world powers would “walk away” rather than accept a bad deal.

“If we cannot verify that they are not going to obtain a nuclear weapon, that there’s a breakout period so that even if they cheated we would be able to have enough time to take action, if we don’t have that kind of deal, then we’re not going to take it,” Obama said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in an address spoke last week before a joint session of Congress called the current outline a “bad deal” and said the lawmakers should reject it.

Engage

  • Events

    Haart to Haart

    Virtual

    Dec 7, 2022

    7 pm ET · 

    A conversation with Julia Haart and her son Shlomo, stars of Netflix's 'My Unorthodox Life,' about the new season and much more.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.