Donald Sterling Denies Being Racist

Tape Surfaces as Wife Launches Fight To Keep Team

getty images

By Reuters

Published May 08, 2014.
  • Print
  • Share Share

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who was banned for life from the National Basketball Association after a tape of his racist comments became public, claimed in a new recording he was not a bigot, according to an online report on Thursday.

The new recording came as Sterling’s wife expressed interest in holding on to the Clippers, the Los Angeles Times reported, even as league officials worked to force a sale of the team.

Entertainment website Radar Online posted a recording of Sterling talking about race, which it said it obtained from an anonymous source. Radar said the source signed an affidavit confirming the voice was that of the 80-year-old billionaire.

“You think I’m a racist?” Radar Online quoted Sterling as saying on what it reported was a secretly recorded phone conversation. “You think I have anything in the world but love for everybody? You don’t think that! You know I’m not a racist!”

Radar included the recording in its report. Reuters could not independently confirm it was Sterling’s voice on the recording, and a Sterling representative could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

The NBA fined Sterling $2.5 million last month and banned him from the league for life after the website TMZ.com posted a separate audio recording of a voice said to be his that made derogatory remarks about black people.

The comments sparked outrage from players and fans, and led NBA Commissioner Adam Silver to ask team owners to force Sterling to relinquish ownership of the Clippers in what would be an unprecedented step under the league’s constitution and bylaws.

“How can you be in this business and be a racist?” Sterling said on the new tape, according to Radar Online. “Do you think I tell the coach to get white players? Or to get the best player he can get?”

WIFE INTENDS TO REMAIN AS OWNER

The new tape emerged as the Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday that Sterling’s wife, Shelly, said she intended to remain an owner of the team and has hired a law firm as the NBA moved to terminate her husband’s ownership.

Shelly Sterling, who shares ownership of the Clippers through a family trust, contended the sanctions against her husband do not apply “to me or my family,” according to the newspaper. An NBA spokesman declined to comment on the report.

A representative for Shelly Sterling could not be reached immediately for comment on Thursday. But in a statement, she denied the league had let her know it would prefer she not attend Clippers playoff games this Friday and Sunday.

“As co-owner, I have attended games for 33 years and I will continue going to playoff games as the Clippers march towards a championship,” she said in the statement.

Silver was asked at a news conference last month whether any of Sterling’s relatives, including his wife, might exercise an ownership or managerial stake in the team.

“There have been no decisions about other members of the Sterling family,” Silver said at the time. “This ruling applies specifically to Donald Sterling and Donald Sterling’s conduct only.”

Sterling purchased the Clippers for $12.5 million in 1981, when it was based in San Diego. The team is now estimated to be worth at least $575 million, according to Forbes, which compiles a list of professional sports team values each year.

The Clippers are currently tied with the Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of the NBA playoffs at one game a piece. Their next match is scheduled for Friday.


The Jewish Daily Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Jewish Daily Forwardrequires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and The Jewish Daily Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.





Find us on Facebook!
  • PHOTOS: Hundreds of protesters marched through lower Manhattan yesterday demanding an end to American support for Israel’s operation in #Gaza.
  • Does #Hamas have to lose for there to be peace? Read the latest analysis by J.J. Goldberg.
  • This is what the rockets over Israel and Gaza look like from space:
  • "Israel should not let captives languish or corpses rot. It should do everything in its power to recover people and bodies. Jewish law places a premium on pidyon shvuyim, “the redemption of captives,” and proper burial. But not when the price will lead to more death and more kidnappings." Do you agree?
  • Slate.com's Allison Benedikt wrote that Taglit-Birthright Israel is partly to blame for the death of American IDF volunteer Max Steinberg. This is why she's wrong:
  • Israeli soldiers want you to buy them socks. And snacks. And backpacks. And underwear. And pizza. So claim dozens of fundraising campaigns launched by American Jewish and Israeli charities since the start of the current wave of crisis and conflict in Israel and Gaza.
  • The sign reads: “Dogs are allowed in this establishment but Zionists are not under any circumstances.”
  • Is Twitter Israel's new worst enemy?
  • More than 50 former Israeli soldiers have refused to serve in the current ground operation in #Gaza.
  • "My wife and I are both half-Jewish. Both of us very much felt and feel American first and Jewish second. We are currently debating whether we should send our daughter to a Jewish pre-K and kindergarten program or to a public one. Pros? Give her a Jewish community and identity that she could build on throughout her life. Cons? Costs a lot of money; She will enter school with the idea that being Jewish makes her different somehow instead of something that you do after or in addition to regular school. Maybe a Shabbat sing-along would be enough?"
  • Undeterred by the conflict, 24 Jews participated in the first ever Jewish National Fund— JDate singles trip to Israel. Translation: Jews age 30 to 45 travelled to Israel to get it on in the sun, with a side of hummus.
  • "It pains and shocks me to say this, but here goes: My father was right all along. He always told me, as I spouted liberal talking points at the Shabbos table and challenged his hawkish views on Israel and the Palestinians to his unending chagrin, that I would one day change my tune." Have you had a similar experience?
  • "'What’s this, mommy?' she asked, while pulling at the purple sleeve to unwrap this mysterious little gift mom keeps hidden in the inside pocket of her bag. Oh boy, how do I answer?"
  • "I fear that we are witnessing the end of politics in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I see no possibility for resolution right now. I look into the future and see only a void." What do you think?
  • Not a gazillionaire? Take the "poor door."
  • from-cache

Would you like to receive updates about new stories?




















We will not share your e-mail address or other personal information.

Already subscribed? Manage your subscription.