Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Prison Is No Place For The Elderly — Even Paul Manafort

Paul Manafort is in hell tonight. I know because I was there too.

I was 60 years old when I entered prison; Paul Manafort entered jail as a senior at age 69. It is frightening to be locked up the first time, knowing the nightmare is just beginning.

People applauded Paul Manafort’s arrest. Most of those people do not know what prison and jail does to your body. I do. I don’t applaud any older person’s incarceration, regardless of the crime, because I know we could punish people and hold them accountable in a more humane way.

The media speculated about where Manafort would be locked up with typically ignorant and stereotyping language. The D.C. jail is filled with murderers and rapists. The Virginia jail is a country club. Both stereotypes are incorrect.

Thirty-five percent of the D.C. jail’s population is people convicted of violent crimes. But they don’t pose the biggest risk to other incarcerated people — that comes from the very people entrusted with their safety and well-being. The D.C. jail has been sued repeatedly for not taking care of incarcerated people. It has been cited for numerous in-custody deaths due to lack of healthcare. And the Virginia facility is not a country club — no jail or prison is. No country club locks its members in cells. No jail or prison allows its prisoners to order drinks or meals. Every prisoner eats the same vile food.

Regardless of which facility you enter, the journey typically begins in the same way. My first stop was in the courthouse basement jail, where I sat on a cement bench for hours waiting to be taken to my designated jail. Paul Manafort was quickly driven from the courthouse, but he no doubt ended up sitting on a similar concrete bench during the booking process. I know how painful it is to sit on cement. It is particularly painful for elderly incarcerated people to sit on cement slabs, and to sleep on metal beds. Between back problems and fragile bones, elderly people face many physical challenges in jail.

During Paul Manafort’s booking process, he stood for his mugshot, then watched as guards put each of his fingers through a finger print machine.

Then Paul Manafort was strip searched. An officer took him into a cold and dingy room and ordered him to remove his clothes. He was asked to bend over and cough so the officer could check his anus for contraband.

It is at this point, during the first strip search, that 69 years of Paul Manafort’s life flashed before his eyes. It is at this point that everyone recognizes the freedom they’ve lost. The strip search on day one made Paul Manafort realize what he is facing. For me, the strip search was the most humiliating moment of my life. And Paul Manafort will have his dignity tested over and over.

Paul Manafort was then locked up for the night. He may continue to be locked up for years, with what will likely amount to a death sentence for a 69-year-old.

Should Paul Manafort be punished if convicted of a crime? Yes. In America we disregard age, young or old, when placing people in prison. People who have never been incarcerated have no idea of the harshness of prison. I know Paul Manafort needs to lose his freedom, but is mass incarceration the only choice we have?

The New York-based group Release Aging People in Prison (RAPP) advocates for the release of elderly incarcerated people. I advocate for their release as well, because prison literally destroyed my back. I woke up every day crippled with pain from sleeping on a metal bed. I still have pain even three years after my release.

I expected to lose my freedom when I was convicted. I didn’t expect my life to be at risk every day. Only ignorant people think that being confined is easy. They know nothing of the sexual and physical violence and torture faced by incarcerated people.

More importantly, they do not understand that entering prison at an advanced age, or aging in prison, is dangerous for elderly people, who may be in prison with Alzheimer’s, dementia and heart conditions that require by-pass surgery.

I am not a fan of Paul Manafort. But I do understand what it is like to be old in prison. It is time to have the conversation about creating alternatives to incarceration for all elderly prisoners — including Paul Manafort.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.