Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

My Recipe For Healing In Squirrel Hill

I don’t know why, as a country, we expect our political leaders to provide comfort when the world is in chaos. As a state senator, I know my constituents usually want me to use my position to ensure their voices are heard. Traditionally, we have looked to the president to provide words that unify us in our most heartbreaking moments as a nation. Until now. Now, we have a president who stirs the pot of hatred, xenophobia and anti-Semitism, who views people of color and Muslims and Jews as “others” to ridicule, blame and defile.

I have had a very difficult time gathering my thoughts since the slaughter of 11 Jewish people in Pittsburgh, and yet as one of only five Jewish members of the Rhode Island General Assembly, I feel an obligation to speak, because I want something to drown out the hate. I am filled with grief because the loss of one Jewish life is a loss for our whole community. I’m filled with rage because I know this wasn’t the act of one delusional person; it fits right into the narrative of hate and oppression spewed by our president.

I am also the product of my upbringing: I’m named after my great aunt and uncle who were murdered along with 6 million others in the Holocaust; during my early childhood in Montreal, I was surrounded by Eastern European Jews whose memories were too awful to speak out loud. I spent the rest of my childhood growing up in Georgia at a time when the Jewish community still held temple bombings in their collective memories and where people would yell, “the South will rise again” at public events. I prayed in a synagogue guarded by armed police officers. I learned very young that the stories of persecution told in the Torah were not ancient, they were merely the beginning of current events.

I do not know how to comfort the Jewish community, or the trans community or black communities, or Muslim communities, or the immigrant and refugee communities — all of whom have been targeted by this president. The standard phrases of politicians are failing this moment and are failing the beautiful diversity of this country.

All I know is what Judaism has taught me:

It is our job to repair the world. We may not be able to repair all of it, but we must try to heal some of it. We as a people have been persecuted, ostracized and blamed for centuries — and it has not hardened our collective hearts. Instead, we continue to see ourselves in the refugees fleeing their own home countries, in the homeless in the US who are being starved by our own systems of oppression, in our brothers and sisters of other colors and religions for whom patriarchy and racism have made life more difficult and more dangerous, and we persevere. And we will all make this world whole, together.

The words of politicians, even if they strike the right tone, are no longer enough. We need action. We need Republicans to denounce the leader of their party. We need elected officials to be brave and stand up for our democracy. We need politicians who remember a stranger is not to be feared. We need people to gather together and hold their elected officials accountable. We must stop enabling hate by turning a blind eye to it. We need to vote.

On Saturday evening, I went to my synagogue to pray. I wanted to say the words of the mourner’s kaddish among my own community. This prayer is said not only to honor the dead, but also to remind us that we should always continue to find hope in the future:

Oseh shalom bimromav, Hu yaaseh shalom aleinu, v’al kol Yisrael. May the One who creates harmony on high, bring peace to us and to all Israel. To which we respond: Amen.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.