Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

I came to Israel to connect to Judaism – but my traditions didn’t resonate with Israelis

As I began to lead havdalah, the familiar prayer that I’ve chanted on hundreds of Saturday nights to close Shabbat, 78 pairs of eyes followed me. These eyes belonged to a group of Israelis that I had just met a few days prior, when I began my journey as a gap year participant in south Tel Aviv. I expected an excited chorus to drown out my individual voice, just like at home, camp, synagogue and every other Jewish institution I’d been a part of. Instead, to my dismay, a confused and unsynchronized mumble met my ears. “How is this possible?” I asked myself as I struggled to complete the rest of the blessings.

I chose to explore my Jewish identity in Israel because it is a place where Judaism is ingrained in the culture, where I never need to explain or justify my religion. I wanted to further my connection to Israel by acquainting myself with the people who actually live there, but I never gave much consideration to whether or not my traditions resonated with Israelis themselves. After 13 years of Jewish day school, 10 summers at Jewish camp, and parents who are both Jewish educators, my identity as a Jew has been nurtured, to say the least. By the time I was 8 years old, I could effortlessly read Torah, single-handedly lead services for my whole camp and say the Birkat Hamazon (the grace after meals) in my sleep. I thought I was equipped to succeed in a Hebrew-speaking environment.

In selecting a program for my gap year in Israel, I searched for an authentic experience, something beyond the realms of typical tourist hotspots, where I could immerse myself in Israeli culture and the Hebrew language. I chose BINA: The Jewish Movement for Social Change, which runs a 10 month program pairing internationals who take a gap year before college with a group of Israelis looking for a meaningful experience before joining the IDF.

While there were a handful of Israelis in my program from religious backgrounds, the majority had little exposure to the Jewish songs and prayers that held so much meaning for me. As time passed, what was at first a shocking concept began to make more and more sense to me as it reappeared in classes and group discussions. Together, we quickly arrived at the conclusion that Jews living in Israel tend to feel Jewish simply by living there, while Jews living in communities outside of Israel rely on tradition to shape their connection to their religion and culture.

I had to pause for a moment to reevaluate how I could explore my connection to Judaism while also relating to the Israelis around me?

The answer was Hebrew. A language I loved for the way it grounded me and reminded me of home. I realized it could also be my ticket to forging connections with the Israelis. Although my basic conversation skills were at first limiting, I knew that Hebrew was as much a part of their identities and homes as it was mine, if differently.

But the language barrier between the Israelis and myself also proved much more challenging than I anticipated. Even the simplest tasks, like reading announcements in the WhatsApp group, navigating the bus schedule and holding basic conversation suddenly required all of my energy.

But I was determined; I wanted desperately for Israeli society, the community that I had learned to love from young age, to embrace me just as I embraced it. The only logical way was to learn as much Hebrew as possible. I began participating in classes alongside the Israelis, initiating Hebrew conversations at every break and furiously jotting down definitions of words as if my life depended on it. I’ve always loved learning Hebrew, but my hunger for it during this time had incentives beyond pure enjoyment.

I always thought that my passion for Hebrew originated from religious experiences throughout my youth. Whether singing a niggun on Friday night at camp, listening to my dad say Kiddush over wine, or helping my sister with her bat mitzvah portion, these words have always reminded me of home and family.

But after discovering how secular the typical Israeli life is, my drive to learn the language was more alive than ever. I started to realize that maybe my dedication had been catalyzed by forces completely unrelated to religion. Regardless, what had taken over was my eagerness to turn Israel into a home, a place where I no longer felt like a tourist but a member of society.

Now that I’ve returned home to the U.S, it’s unbelievable to reflect on how much my Hebrew improved. I was offered the opportunity to conduct a seminar about Jewish peoplehood across the globe. For the opening session, I led a text study and discussion for the Israelis entirely in Hebrew, something which mere months before would have seemed about as possible as sinking in the Dead Sea. I remember feeling for the first time that I could not only accurately express my thoughts, but also truly relate to the Israelis in their own language. We shared our personal experiences as Jews and identified key similarities and differences in concepts like ancestry, incidents of anti-Semitism, and tradition.

Throughout this session, it became clear to me that my relationship with this language and this country is not characterized as simply religious or secular, but as an intricate combination of the two. It is a representation of my cultural, ethnic and social identity. Hebrew, for me, is the way to connect my past roots, my present journey and my future aspirations.

Hannah Merwin was a participant in the 2019-2020 BINA gap year program.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.