Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

Scribe | Ruth Bader Ginsburg showed us young Jews how to be unapologetically Jewish.

I’ve always known about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. How could I not, a woman so like myself? Jewish, deeply interested in education and culture, and a woman with an incredibly Jewish name to boot.

My grandmother knew “RBG” and her husband. My grandmother even knew her heavily-guarded nickname — “Kiki.” I knew that her name was Kiki before I knew her name was Ruth! My great-grandfather’s now famous words still ring in my head: “She’ll be the first female supreme court justice.”

She wasn’t, but she was the first Jewish female supreme court justice. Still breaking down barriers.

There are few celebrities or notable people in the world in whose spirit I can see myself or family members. Ginsburg was one. She reminded me so much of the Jewish bubbes that I see in my Los Angeles neighborhood. The short stature, the opinions that bite, and a sort of love that you have for them. She loved opera and time with Justice Scalia. She was 5’1, two inches taller than my grandmother was when she died.

She was the people’s bubbe, even if they didn’t know that. She was the bubbe that fought for equality for her kindalah. She was the only justice who had the mezuzah on her door and an artist’s tzedek, tzedek, tirdof poster at the entrance of her chambers: Justice, Justice, shall you pursue.

The symbolism in those two items being in her chambers cannot be understated: A mezuzah in the doorway is one of the hallmarks of Judaism, and tzedek, tzedek, tirdof has become a rallying cry for Jews around the world pushing back against injustice. Ginsburg was a Jewish woman in a high-up position in America. She was doing something that would have been unthinkable during her childhood. She was in a majority male environment, seeking change.

As a Jewish female “Zillenial” (being born in 2000, I am firmly on the cusp of the two generations) who is halfway through college, Ginsburg’s impact stays with me each day.

If Ruth Bader Ginsburg can be unapologetically Jewish, shouldn’t I fall in step with her? Shouldn’t I wear my shema necklace unapologetically?

I did a paper in my first semester of my freshman year of college about political Jewish women during the turn of the century in America. There were more than I thought, but still not enough. It is because of them that Ruth Bader Ginsburg was able to break down barriers in one of the highest offices that our country has to offer. It is because of Ruth Bader Ginsburg that I and so many of my Jewish female peers can work hard and create change whether that be through phone banking or in a large office in D.C.

We’ve had easier times to be Jewish in America and we’ve had far worse, but it cannot be ignored that the loss of a Jewish titan is enormous. However, I have faith after seeing how Mourner’s Kaddish was said at the Supreme Court and the shofar was blown as well.

There were people on Twitter learning what it means to say “zichrona l’vracha.” RBG is educating people even in her death.

We have lost one of the largest defenders and loudest voices for American Jews, but the “Notorious RBG” leaves behind a legacy that sparkles and comforts.

In your mourning of her, please, do not forget her Judaism.

In our beautiful Jewish tradition, one who dies on Shabbat or Rosh Hashanah is a true tzaddik, a true righteous one. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, defender of the constitution and the American people, died on Shabbat, Rosh Hashanah, and the beginning of a new month, Rosh Chodesh.

We should not forget how important Ginsburg’s unapologetic Jewishness was. I certainly will not.

Rachel Bernstein’s work has been featured on HeyAlma, Annenberg Media, and Los Angeles Times’ High School Insider.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we need 500 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Our Goal: 500 gifts during our Passover Pledge Drive!

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.