Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe
Fast Forward

Israel Offers ‘Full Support’ For U.S.-Led Airstrikes On Syria

JERUSALEM (JTA) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu offered Israel’s “full support” for airstrikes on Syrian targets in retaliation for the Assad regime’s alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians in the rebel-held town of Douma.

“A year ago, I declared Israel’s full support for President Trump’s decision to take a stand against the use and spread of chemical weapons. President Trump’s resolve and Israel’s support remain unchanged. Early this morning, under American leadership, the United States, France and the United Kingdom demonstrated that their commitment is not limited to proclamations of principle,” Netanyahu said in a statement released on Saturday night after the end of the Jewish Sabbath.

“It should be clear to President Assad that his reckless efforts to acquire and use weapons of mass destruction, his wanton disregard for international law and his provision of a forward base for Iran and its proxies endanger Syria,” the statement also said.

Netanyahu on Saturday ordered his government ministers not to comment on the American-led strike in coalition with Britain and France. The directive came after Housing Minister Yoav Galant praised the attack. Several opposition party leaders also issued statements praising the retaliation for the use of chemical weapons.

Israel reportedly was informed ahead of the airstrikes.

The pre-dawn Saturday morning attack targeted a scientific research facility near Damascus, a chemical weapons storage facility west of the city of Homs, and military installation near Homs including a command post and a chemical weapons equipment storage facility. The three targets reportedly had had been evacuated last week out of fear of retaliatory strikes.

Syrian President Bashar Assad has denied that his troops used chemical weapons and threatened to “crush terrorism” throughout his country.

No additional strikes are currently planned, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis told reporters.

Engage

  • SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.