Skip To Content
Get Our Newsletter

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe

Monsey stabbing victim opens eyes after 59 days in coma

(JTA) — The most seriously injured victim of the stabbing attack at a rabbi’s home in Monsey opened his eyes after 59 days in a coma.

Josef Neumann, 72, has been on a respirator since the Dec. 28 attack during a Hanukkah party. He was one of five people injured.

The announcement of Neumann’s breakthrough came in a tweet from Rabbi Yisroel Kahan, community liaison of the Ramapo Police Department and executive director of Oizrim Jewish Council.

Along with noting that Neumann had opened his eyes, the tweet said he was showing other signs of improvement.

“Give thanks to the lord for he is good, for his mercy endures forever,” the post said, later adding, “Keep praying for a full recovery.”

Neumann, who’s Hebrew name is Yehosef Ben Perel, has seven children, “many grandchildren,” a great-grandchild, and brothers and sisters.

The assailant’s knife penetrated Neumann’s skull and cut into his brain. His right arm also was shattered.

The family had said in a statement a week after the attack: “Doctors are not optimistic about his chances to regain consciousness, and if our father does miraculously recover partially, doctors expect that he will have permanent damage to the brain, leaving him partially paralyzed and speech-impaired for the rest of his life.”

The alleged stabber, Grafton Thomas, 37, has pleaded not guilty to 10 federal hate crimes charges along with six counts of attempted murder and several assault and burglary counts in Rockland County court.

If Neumann dies, Thomas could face the death penalty.

> Give thanks to the lord for he is good, for his mercy endures forever. [#MonseyStabbing]( “”) victim Joseph Neuman has opened his eyes, and is showing other signs of improvement. Keep praying for a full recovery. > > הודו לה’ כי טוב כי לעולם חסדו > > — Rabbi Yisroel Kahan (@ykahan) [February 25, 2020]( “”)

The post Monsey stabbing victim opens eyes after 59 days in coma appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.




Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free under an Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives Creative Commons license as long as you follow our republishing guidelines, which require that you credit Foward and retain our pixel. See our full guidelines for more information.

To republish, copy the HTML, which includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline, and credit to Foward. Have questions? Please email us at

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.