Chili Mushroom Pakoras (Dumplings, or Tempura-fried Vegetables)
These delicious fried dumplings are a perfect snack, side dish or appetizer. It is especially loved by kids, and can be dipped in tomato sauce or chutney.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes around 25-30 pakoras
· ½ cup/ 120 ml button mushrooms, finely chopped
· 1 medium onion, finely chopped
· 1-2 small red chili peppers, finely chopped
· 1 small green chili pepper, finely chopped
· 1 cup/ 240 ml bread crumbs
· 1 tsp/ 5 ml red chili powder
· 1 tsp/ 5 ml coriander leaves, chopped
· 2 tbsp/ 30 ml cornflour
· ½ cup/ 120 ml grated cheese, such as mozzarella or cheddar
· Salt to taste
· ¼ cup/ 120 ml water
· Oil for deep-frying
In a large mixing bowl, combine mushrooms, onions, red chili peppers, and green chili pepper. Add breadcrumbs, chili powder, coriander leaves, and cornflour and mix. Add cheese and salt and mix again.
Add ¼ cup water, or more if needed, to make a sticky dough. Make sure the dough is stiff and well-blended.
Heat oil in a deep pan or wok. Drop golfball-size portions of the batter into the oil and deep-fry till golden and crisp, around 4-5 minutes. Turn them over before you remove them to make sure they are evenly browned on all sides. Drain on a towel, paper towel, or in a colander.
Serve pakoras hot with tomato sauce or green chutney mayo (green chutney and a dash of mayo).