Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

McGill Shaped Me Into A Better And More Engaged Jew

Attending McGill was the best thing to happen to my Jewish identity. For the first time, I was no longer the token Jew, but a leader in a vibrant Jewish community.

Measuring quality of Jewish life on campus solely on perceived anti-Zionist rhetoric is immensely reductionist. Algemeiner ignores the vibrant, active Jewish community infrastructure on campus, and the Jewish history and culture steeped into the city of Montreal. During my years at McGill, I was able to participate in and organize a wide variety of Jewish religious and cultural activities. I met some of my best friends through building Jewish community architectures together, and could show a tourist around the sights of Montreal and unintentionally find Judaism in every step: dafka in the bagels of St.Viateur and the smoked meat at Schwatz’s, but also in the dive bar on the Main that was formerly my great great-grandfather’s Yiddish printing press.

Algemeiner’s metric assumes that exposure to what it feels is anti-Zionist sentiment is detrimental, so much so to negate all the strength and vibrancy of the apolitical aspects of the Jewish community. The various BDS campaigns played a big part in my life as a McGill student, though these discussions shaped me into a better and more engaged Jew. What Algemeiner dismisses as hateful rhetoric afforded me the opportunity to learn from Jews across a full political spectrum, to reconcile, challenge, and sometimes confirm my long-held beliefs. As Hillel taught, one who is too shy to ask questions will never learn.

Sure, McGill is imperfect. The mainstream Jewish institutions often fail to resonate with large swathes of the student body. Activist rhetoric has ridden uncomfortable lines. But, as Rabbi Tarfon taught, it is not your duty to complete the work of perfecting the world, nor are you free to desist from it. Algemeiner seems to seek to deter Jewish students from fixing McGill’s Jewish community, and ignores all the ways they already are. By overlooking efforts to bring Jewish students together with their Palestinian peers, by overlooking the vast array of Jewish student community institutions, Algemeiner paints McGill as a place where it is overwhelmingly uncomfortable to be a Jew.

I would not be the Jew I am proud to be today without the community I found at McGill. It’s a shame Algemeiner doesn’t see it the same way.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.