Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

What the pandemic taught me to love about Torah

Every year in the dead of the winter, when the Torah cycle entered Vayikra, or Leviticus, I used to release a huge sigh of frustration. One of my synagogue’s ritual directors used to call this book “the barbeque section of the Torah” because it is largely concerned with the why’s and how’s of animal sacrifice, the primary means of worship among the Israelites.

A large part of this book focuses on impurity, a dreaded state in ancient times, and so other highlights include skin diseases and of course, the prohibitions surrounding menstruation. For these reasons, this has usually been the annual time when I gradually began to lose interest in the Torah portions and started skimming rather than reading.

Before the pandemic, my normal Shabbat morning ritual began with saying the earlier prayers at home and then reading the Torah portion. Around 10:30, weather permitting, I would meander over to my synagogue so I could hear the sermon and daven the musaf service with my community.

I like to read the Torah in Hebrew, although it is still a struggle for me, even after years of Hebrew study. Still, I always love reading the personal narratives in B’reshit and Shemot, the first two books of the Torah, and find them filled with eternal truths. And I am even fascinated by the portions leading up to Vayikra about the construction of the Mishkan, or Tabernacle, because I have devoted years of academic writing to the topic of human creativity. Plus, in my earlier years of Hebrew study these portions helped build my jewelry vocabulary, a useful tool while shopping in Israel!

But when I got to Vayikra, I always experienced the mental equivalent of a stop sign. I just could never bring myself to read, or even much care, about it.

This year was different.

Before my vaccinations, I had nothing but time on Shabbat morning. So, when we began Vayikra, I thought I would give it a real try. I graduated myself from using my standard Magil’s Linear School Bible, which breaks down each Hebrew sentence clause-by-clause, to reading complete Hebrew sentences in a Chumash, generously using the English translations when needed.

Much to my surprise, midway through the first portion of Vayikra, taking my time and really focusing on the content, I somehow became engrossed.

Never before had I focused on the details of all the animal sacrifices. I began to appreciate how intricate the system was and how, in its own way, it was designed to respond to critical human needs, like expressing devotion, assuaging guilt and even expressing gratitude for having something to celebrate.

I began to imagine what it must have been like to live during these times and be consumed by the pageantry. On Yom Kippur, the brief early-afternoon Avodah service is designed to bring us back to these times, but given when it falls during this long day of worship, many Jews are no longer in synagogue by that point. And many of those of us who remain are often too tired and hungry to pay all that much attention.

This year, when circumstances forced me to be home with no distractions, I developed an appreciation for a system of worship that I had previously seen as strange and irrelevant. I began to see that even these difficult and seemingly foreign Torah portions can teach us something important.

For example, the zevah sh’lamim, sacrifice of well-being, was offered by a person who had something to celebrate. Sections of the Torah tell us that this particular offering had to be entirely consumed by the day after it was offered. Why? Perhaps to encourage the person making the offering to invite more friends and neighbors to join in their celebration of gratitude and well-being.

How timeless and modern — think B’nai Mitzvah celebration or wedding!

I relish Jewish tradition’s decision to replace these sacrifices with prayer. This choice, along with so many others made by the Talmudic sages, set the stage for the development of a religious tradition that our people have found meaningful for centuries even in the darkest of times. But this year I found meaning in taking a deeper dive into the Torah’s world of worship and giving Vayikra the attention it requires. It was a needed pleasant surprise in a dark year, and, for me, it marked a step in my spiritual growth.

Roberta Rosenthal Kwall is the Raymond P. Niro Professor at DePaul University College of Law. She is the author of “Remix Judaism: Transmitting Tradition in a Diverse World,” (Rowman & Littlefield, 2020); “The Myth of the Cultural Jew” (Oxford University Press, 2015) and “The Soul of Creativity” (Stanford University Press, 2010).

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.