Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Culture

Why I Can’t Even Bring Myself To Hate Father’s Day

If you’ve read this far you’ve probably done more to observe Father’s Day than you need to. Or you liked the photo of David Beckham who is, it has to be said, a smoking hot dad.

Here are some links to help you understand my disinterest in a holiday that’s specifically designed to celebrate me and other flabby, elite members of the breeder patriarchy.

First, there’s the false equivalence of Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. As comedian Jim Gaffigan says, “My wife is amazing, we have five kids and she does 90% of the parenting. So that only leaves me with 10% which is — [BEAT] — too much.”

Second, though historically Father’s Day is cited as the independent idea of a couple of different women (Jane Addams, Sonora Smart Dodd) and one man (Harry C. Meek), its institutionalization (i.e. the acceptance of it as a national “thing”) is mostly due to the decades-long perseverance of the New York Associated Men’s Wear Retailers. So that’s why the neckties.

Third, there’s an International Men’s Day already. So lets celebrate fathers, paternal bonds, and the influence of men in society then.

Fourth, if you’re still reading you should probably buy your dad something. It’s not too late to get him whisky.

Dan Friedman is the executive editor, resident curmudgeon and whisky correspondent for the Forward. Follow him on Twitter at @danfriedmanme

Engage

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.