Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe
Fast Forward

U. Of Cincinnati Sued For Making Richard Spencer Pay ‘Security Fee’ For Speech

The University of Cincinnati is being sued for forcing organizers of an upcoming speech by prominent white supremacist Richard Spencer to pay an excessive “security fee.”

The suit, filed by Spencer’s tour organizer Cameron Padgett, a Georgia State University student, argues that charging the fee violates his right to freedom of speech. Padgett is being asked to pay a $500 facility rental fee and $10,833 for security costs.

“By charging event organizers fees based upon the reaction of the violent liberal mob, de facto censorship can and will result due to security costs being imposed which are often cost-prohibitive for such politically right-of-center events to occur,” Padgett’s lawyer, Kyle Bristow, said in a statement.

The university responded in its own statement, arguing that because Spencer was not sponsored by a university member, he had to pay rental and security fees, just as any other non-sponsored speaker would.

“The fee assessed is a mere fraction of the costs we anticipate incurring as a result of this event, but we hold firm in our efforts to respect the principles of free speech while maintaining safety on campus,” the statement said.

Spencer was one of the leaders of last year’s white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, where a counter-protester was killed. The University of Florida reportedly spent $600,000 on security when Spencer came to speak there in October. Three men were arrested and charged with attempted homicide after allegedly shooting at counter-protesters.

Padgett has sued or threatened to sue numerous public universities in order to compel them to host talks by Spencer. Cincinnati avoided a lawsuit by agreeing to let Spencer speak — during the middle of spring break.

Contact Aiden Pink at [email protected] or on Twitter, @aidenpink

Engage

  • Events

    Haart to Haart

    Virtual

    Dec 7, 2022

    7 pm ET · 

    A conversation with Julia Haart and her son Shlomo, stars of Netflix's 'My Unorthodox Life,' about the new season and much more.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.