McMaster Invokes Holocaust To Urge Action In Syria

(JTA) — National Security Adviser Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster invoked the post-Holocaust phrase “Never Again” in calling for U.S. action in Syria.
Speaking Thursday at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., McMaster said the United States would not stand by during the deadly conflict in Syria, The Wall Street Journal reported.
“We cannot stop at remembrance alone,” he said. “If we are to fulfill our promise [of] ‘Never Again,’ we must also act to protect all victims and hold all responsible parties accountable.”
McMaster warned Russia and Iran that they should stop providing support to the Syrian government.
“If Iran and Russia do not stop enabling the regime atrocities and adhere to U.N. Security Council resolutions, all nations must respond more forcibly than simply issuing strong statements,” he said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human rights, a British-based war monitor, said earlier this week that over half a million had been killed in the Syrian civil war, which started in 2011. The monitor said approximately 85 percent of the casualties were civilians killed by the Syrian government and its allies.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO