2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pecans, crushed into small pieces
1 tablespoon butter, melted (to use in last layer)
1) Preheat oven to 375˚ F.
2) Cream the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix to combine well.
3) In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to sugar-butter mixture and stir to incorporate.
4) Add sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla to the mixture and stir until combined.
4) In a small bowl, combine the first 3 topping ingredients (sugar, cinnamon and nuts).
3) Layer 1/3 of the batter into a well-greased tube pan (or angel food cake pan) and top with 1/3 of the topping mixture. Repeat with the second 1/3 of the batter, then the second 1/3 of the topping. Add the last layer of batter.
4) Mix the melted butter into the last 1/3 of the topping, sprinkle topping on top of cake and for 1 hour, or until a skewer or small knife blade inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Hillary Berkowitz Nussbaum is a freelance writer who likes to cook her way through writer’s block.