The couscous in this salad makes it filling and satisfying, while the avocado gives it a creamy consistency. Quinoa would also be great here.
1 cup cooked couscous
1 avocado, cubed
½ cup peas, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
Handful of fresh basil
For Mint Pesto
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons walnuts
¼ cup mint
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Blend the pesto ingredients in a food processor or blender and set aside.
2) Cook the couscous and let cool.
3) Mix the peas, avocado, couscous, lime juice and pesto together in a large serving bowl.
4) Garnish with walnuts, mint and basil.
My other salad recipes:
- Spinach Salad With Strawberries and Feta
Jean Hanks is the Forward’s food intern.