Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Breaking News

Jewish Charity FEGS Will File For Bankruptcy

The Jewish social services behemoth FEGS Health & Human Services will soon file for bankruptcy, the Forward has learned.

That filling could come as early as March 18, according to someone with knowledge of the decision, who asked not to be named because of the confidential nature of the process. FEGS did not respond to a request for comment on the report.

FEGS announced January 30 that it would shut down after revealing massive losses in its 2014 fiscal year. The Forward reported March 17 that FEGS faced a bevy of financial problems, the result of an apparent effort to grow its way out of fiscal challenges.

The charity carries massive financial obligations, including $90 million in ongoing leases, $15 million in mortgages, and $6 million in loans, according to a 2014 financial report obtained by the Forward.

The New York Jewish Week reported in February that FEGS vendors complained that the charity owed them tens of thousands of dollars.

Meanwhile, more questions continue to hover over the agency: Why did FEGS funnel increasing millions in its final years to its for-profit subsidiary AllSector, as the Forward reported in March? FEGS owns 95% of AllSector; the owner of the other 5% is unknown.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning, nonprofit journalism during this critical time.

Now more than ever, American Jews need independent news they can trust, with reporting driven by truth, not ideology. We serve you, not any ideological agenda.

At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and the protests on college campuses.

Readers like you make it all possible. Support our work by becoming a Forward Member and connect with our journalism and your community.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.