North Korea Nuke Test Needs ‘Swift Response,’ Israel says

nuke cloud Image by Wikimedia Commons
JERUSALEM — Israel said last week’s nuclear test by North Korea “must be met with a swift response by the international community.”
“Israel condemns North Korea’s nuclear test, and joins the international community in expressing concern of the danger that this act poses to regional stability and international peace and security,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Tuesday in a statement.
North Korea announced the hydrogen bomb test on Jan. 6 after South Korea recorded a seismic event located near the site where the neighboring country has previously conducted nuclear tests.
“A clear message must be sent to [North Korea] and to other countries that such activities are unacceptable and cannot be tolerated,” Israel’s statement said.
It is popularly understood that Israel has dozens of nuclear weapons, but Israel has neither confirmed nor denied it has nuclear weapons. Israel has not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation treaty.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO