Probe of Cover-Up After 1994 Bombing Casts Suspicion on Argentine Ex-President

By Marc Perelman

Published May 29, 2008, issue of June 06, 2008.
  • Print
  • Share Share

A prosecutor in Argentina is seeking the arrest of the country’s former president and several of his aides on suspicions that they were involved in a cover-up after the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Argentina.

UNDER SUSPICION: Carlos Menem, Argentina’s president from 1989 to 1999 is being accused of a cover-up connected to the attack.
UNDER SUSPICION: Carlos Menem, Argentina’s president from 1989 to 1999 is being accused of a cover-up connected to the attack.

Alberto Nisman, a longtime prosecutor on the case, claims in a petition filed last week that the former president, Carlos Menem, gave a direct order to protect Alberto Kanoore Edul, a textile entrepreneur whose family hails from the same Syrian town as Menem’s and who was an early suspect in the attack, which killed 85 and wounded more than 300.

Nisman has asked investigative judge Ariel Lijo to arrest Menem and his brother, as well as three key players in the initial probe: the lead magistrate, police commissioner and intelligence chief.

The 77-year-old Menem, who is now a senator, has denied the charges and accused the administration of President Cristina Kirchner of using them to deflect attention from its current internal struggles. The decision on whether to press charges will be made by the judge and is expected in June.

Regardless of his decision, this latest development serves as a stark reminder of how the case surrounding the bombing of the community center — known as the AMIA — continues to be a political football as the 14th anniversary of the bombing approaches.

“Because it has never been thoroughly investigated, this case has been politicized over and over again all those years,” said Gabriel Levinas, the author of a book on the July 1994 bombing and a longtime critic of the probe. “And every time we come close to the anniversary of the attack, we inevitably see some supposedly new developments.”

While some associations of family victims have long suspected Menem, who was in power from 1989 to 1999, of a cover-up, last week’s arrest request was the first time that he has been formally accused of direct intervention. For years, some of Menem’s adversaries have claimed that the reason for his involvement was to push aside evidence that the bombing was the result of a dispute between Menem and Syria.

In the past few years, Argentina has issued two indictments accusing Iran and Hezbollah of carrying out the attack, along with several arrest warrants for high-ranking Iranian officials and Hezbollah operatives. Iran has repeatedly rejected the accusations as an Israeli-American fabrication.

Nisman told the Forward that the charges against Iran and Hezbollah were still valid and being pursued aggressively.

“This does absolutely not change the accusations against Hezbollah and Iran… and there is no evidence against Syria,” Nisman told the Forward. “To a certain degree, it reinforces them, because Kanoore Edul has many links with Islamist extremists.”

He noted that the new evidence only sheds light on the local support network, which has been a controversial issue for years in Argentina.

Several Argentines, including a car thief and a group of Buenos Aires policemen, were initially accused of abetting the perpetrators. They were acquitted after their trial in 2004 when a federal court accused Juan José Galeano, the judge handling the case, of authorizing a bribe for a key witness.

The man Menem is accused of protecting, Edul, was arrested soon after the bombing, because of his alleged ties to two suspects. Phone intercepts allegedly show that Edul made a call to Carlos Telleldin, a car thief believed to have supplied the terrorists with the van that rammed into the AMIA building. The call was made on the day Telleldin allegedly handed the van to the terrorists, according to Argentinean prosecutors.

Galeano, the lead magistrate at the time, contends he thoroughly looked into Edul’s activities but failed to come up with clear evidence of his involvement in the attack.

Nisman apparently has been able to find some new evidence, including wiretap transcripts that had been missing for years. In his petition, Nisman affirms that Menem’s brother Munir called Galeano and ordered him to leave Edul alone on the day Edul’s father visited the presidential palace.

Galeano denies ever receiving such a call.

“This is sadly yet another attempt to redirect the public’s attention from the real members of the local connection, which were security forces that I identified,” Galeano, who was disbarred and is himself being investigated, told the Forward. “It is obviously not convenient to have the local connection focus on Argentinean corruption but instead on someone with the Syrian name Kanoore Edul.”

In the new developments, Edul is not being formally charged. Nisman said that there was not enough evidence against him for now.

“The scheme to cover up and to erase evidence was such that it makes it very difficult for me to find solid ground to request the arrest of Edul,” he told the Forward. “But despite those difficulties, we are probing it and we hope to get there.”

Several Jewish organizations and associations of family victims welcomed the move against Menem and expressed guarded optimism that it could help solve the case.

“We are happy to see the case is moving; we don’t know if this will lead anywhere, but it’s worth trying,” said Adriana Reisfeld, who lost her sister in the bombing and is a leader of the victims’ group Memoria Activa.






Find us on Facebook!
  • "Israel should not let captives languish or corpses rot. It should do everything in its power to recover people and bodies. Jewish law places a premium on pidyon shvuyim, “the redemption of captives,” and proper burial. But not when the price will lead to more death and more kidnappings." Do you agree?
  • Slate.com's Allison Benedikt wrote that Taglit-Birthright Israel is partly to blame for the death of American IDF volunteer Max Steinberg. This is why she's wrong:
  • Israeli soldiers want you to buy them socks. And snacks. And backpacks. And underwear. And pizza. So claim dozens of fundraising campaigns launched by American Jewish and Israeli charities since the start of the current wave of crisis and conflict in Israel and Gaza.
  • The sign reads: “Dogs are allowed in this establishment but Zionists are not under any circumstances.”
  • Is Twitter Israel's new worst enemy?
  • More than 50 former Israeli soldiers have refused to serve in the current ground operation in #Gaza.
  • "My wife and I are both half-Jewish. Both of us very much felt and feel American first and Jewish second. We are currently debating whether we should send our daughter to a Jewish pre-K and kindergarten program or to a public one. Pros? Give her a Jewish community and identity that she could build on throughout her life. Cons? Costs a lot of money; She will enter school with the idea that being Jewish makes her different somehow instead of something that you do after or in addition to regular school. Maybe a Shabbat sing-along would be enough?"
  • Undeterred by the conflict, 24 Jews participated in the first ever Jewish National Fund— JDate singles trip to Israel. Translation: Jews age 30 to 45 travelled to Israel to get it on in the sun, with a side of hummus.
  • "It pains and shocks me to say this, but here goes: My father was right all along. He always told me, as I spouted liberal talking points at the Shabbos table and challenged his hawkish views on Israel and the Palestinians to his unending chagrin, that I would one day change my tune." Have you had a similar experience?
  • "'What’s this, mommy?' she asked, while pulling at the purple sleeve to unwrap this mysterious little gift mom keeps hidden in the inside pocket of her bag. Oh boy, how do I answer?"
  • "I fear that we are witnessing the end of politics in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I see no possibility for resolution right now. I look into the future and see only a void." What do you think?
  • Not a gazillionaire? Take the "poor door."
  • "We will do what we must to protect our people. We have that right. We are not less deserving of life and quiet than anyone else. No more apologies."
  • "Woody Allen should have quit while he was ahead." Ezra Glinter's review of "Magic in the Moonlight": http://jd.fo/f4Q1Q
  • Jon Stewart responds to his critics: “Look, obviously there are many strong opinions on this. But just merely mentioning Israel or questioning in any way the effectiveness or humanity of Israel’s policies is not the same thing as being pro-Hamas.”
  • from-cache

Would you like to receive updates about new stories?




















We will not share your e-mail address or other personal information.

Already subscribed? Manage your subscription.