Dairy or parve
Makes 8 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces good-quality semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine
4 large eggs
11⁄2 cups sugar, plus more for coating ramekins
3⁄4 cup matzo cake meal
2 tablespoons potato starch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 450˚F. Generously coat 8 (6.8-ounce) ramekins with nonstick cooking spray, and lightly coat them with granulated sugar. Hold a ramekin on its side. Tap the sides, turning the ramekin to coat the sides with sugar as well. Repeat with remaining ramekins. (If you use larger ramekins you will get fewer servings.)
2) Break the chocolate into small pieces; place it and the butter or margarine into a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave on medium power for 15-second intervals, stirring between, until the chocolate is completely melted.
3) In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, beat the eggs on high speed until foamy. Slowly pour in 11⁄2 cups sugar, and continue beating until very fluffy and pale yellow. On low speed, stir in the matzo cake meal, potato starch, and vanilla until thoroughly combined.
4) Increase speed to high, and while beating, slowly drizzle in the melted chocolate mixture. Once added, beat until all the chocolate is incorporated, about 1 minute.
5) For ease of pouring, transfer the batter into a large measuring cup. Fill each ramekin halfway. Set the ramekins onto a baking sheet, and bake for 14–15 minutes until the tops are brown and the centers are warm.
(Alternatively, the filled ramekins can be refrigerated. Just leave at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.)
Serve immediately, being cautious as the ramekins will be hot!