London — Jews and Muslims in the United Kingdom issued a joint statement, calling for peace in the Middle East, and “constructive dialogue” between the two groups in Britain.
“In spite of the situation in the Middle East, we must continue to work hard for good community relations in the UK. We must not import conflict. We must export peace instead,” read the statement issued Wednesday by the Board of Deputies of British Jews and the Muslim Council of Britain.
The statement, called “unprecedented” by the London-based Jewish Chronicle, says that: “The targeting of civilians is completely unacceptable and against our religious traditions.”
The statement condemned “any expression of Anti-Semitism, Islamophobia or any form of racism,” including during rallies and on social media. It also called for a redoubling of efforts “to work together and get to know one another.”
“We need constructive dialogue to limit our disagreements and identify the widest possible range of areas for cooperation. There are more issues that unite us than divide us,” the statement concluded.
Meanwhile, a rally to demand zero tolerance against anti-Semitism in London and throughout the United Kingdom is scheduled to be held Sunday outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London, the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism announced Thursday.
The rally comes after four synagogues in Britain were vandalized in the last month, Jews were attacked on the street, and a Jewish graveyard and Holocaust memorials were vandalized, also all in the last month. An uptick in anti-Semitic acts occurred during Israel’s recent military operation in Gaza.
“British Jews are afraid. Citizens are looking to the police and government to enforce the law with zero tolerance against ant-Semites, as they do in other cases of racism. It is only through zero tolerance that the tide of anti-Semitism can be turned,” Jonathan Sacerdoti of the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism said in a statement.