Orly Ziv's Fish Kebabs with Yellow Tahini Yogurt Sauce
Packed with fresh herbs, these fish kebabs are bursting with flavor. Since there are no binding ingredients like eggs, the secret is to knead the mixture like dough to break down the proteins. The kebabs are good on their own, but even better with the creamy yellow tahini sauce.
1 kg (2.2 lb) fish filet, finely chopped (such as tilapia, sea bass, mullet or red drum)
2 shallots or 1 small red onion, finely chopped
½ bunch parsley leaves, finely chopped
½ bunch mint leaves, finely chopped
½ bunch cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper
1) Mix together all the kebab ingredients in a large bowl and knead until you obtain a uniform mixture.
2) Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3) Shape into small round or oblong patties. Working in batches, cook on a hot grill or skillet for 3 to 4 minutes per side until cooked through and golden.
4) Transfer to a plate or put in a pita and serve with a generous spoonful of the tahini yogurt sauce.
Yellow Tahini Yogurt Sauce
2 tablespoons oil
½ tablespoon ground turmeric
½ cup tahini paste
1 cup thick goat’s milk yogurt or buttermilk (preferably drinking yogurt)
Juice of ½ lemon, or more to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1) Heat the oil and turmeric in a pan until just before boiling, or heat for 30 seconds in microwave. Strain and allow to cool fully before proceeding.
2) Mix together the turmeric oil with the remaining sauce ingredients until smooth and pale yellow in color.