A version of this post appeared in Yiddish here.
In May 1951, a group of immigrants to Israel, mainly Holocaust survivors, founded a social, political and cultural group based on the model of the General Jewish Labour Bund of pre-war Poland.
That group, which became the Israeli branch of the Workmen’s Circle/Arbeter Ring, bought a building on Kalisher Street in Tel Aviv, collected a Yiddish library of some 30,000 volumes, established a Yiddish chorus now directed by Aliza Blecherovitch, produced dozens of plays, and began publishing the monthly journal Lebns-fragn (literally “Life Questions,” but more accurately, “Essential Issues”).
On May 25, the magazine celebrated its 60th anniversary with a event that included readings by Shura Grinhoyz-Turkow, poet Rivke Bassman Ben-Haim, and a performance by the Mikhl Klepfish Choir, among others.
Recommend this article
This article has been sent!Close