Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

I dream of seeing my grandkids across the ocean, but the pandemic still has me grounded

With life returning to a strange new normal I’m thinking of flying back to the U.S. again. Like many olim, I’m a dual national, a citizen of both countries with my heart and family divided.

Until this pandemic I was a frequent flyer. I thought that was my natural right to go whenever the spirit moved me. A mother should be allowed to spend time with her kids and grandkids, right?

I went on Expedia to find out about flights from Tel Aviv to Miami for the first week of June. Turkish air has one for $800 which includes a two-hour layover in Istanbul. Excellent flight, said the note on the bottom. Yes it sounded like one and it what a bargain! In pre-COVID times I would have grabbed it but now?

The Turks are disinfecting their planes-everyone knows that air travel spread the virus hitting big airport hubs especially hard. The Turkish Air website features an impressive video of a hazmat suited crew busily scrubbing away and Turkish cleaning protocols even include a regular wash of those notoriously filthy blankets.

Turkish planes are outfitted with hospital-grade High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters which they claim “completely refresh the air during the flight,” hopefully killing any coronavirus particles lingering in the air? Who knows?

As to the layover, the Istanbul airport boasts both air filtration and hand sanitization stations (what do they mean? Purel bottles dispersed at random locations?) but I couldn’t find any references to social distancing or wearing masks.

My conclusion? If you want to fly Turkish take a hint from their video — wear a Hazmat suit.

The next cheapest was a British Airways flight for $953, with a short stop in London, slightly pricier but still affordable. I’ve always had a soft spot for BA. Even before COVID their planes were clean and new with excellent movies and adequate legroom, even in economy class. How are they faring in this brave new world?

Like the Turks the Brits were hard hit by the virus. They’ve also rolled up their collective sleeves and are vigorously cleaning their planes They’ve got HEPA filters too but the country that nearly lost its prime minister to the virus still has no mask requirement. As to the social distancing that exists on the ground at Heathrow but not in the air. Forget about your inflight kosher or halal or vegetarian meal. No more service to special diets: Pack a picnic lunch instead.

And maybe consider that Hazmat suit again…

What about US carriers? United is flying on the days I want but the price quoted was a steep $2923 for economy class. Well that’s outrageous!

If you’re willing to fork over that money which would have once gotten you a business class seat what do you get? Masks. On the “friendly skies,” both passengers are crew are required to wear them.

But what about social distancing? That’s complicated. Since United is flying fewer planes it’s the luck of the draw. If you do end up on a crowded flight United will allow you to wait for an emptier plane but how could you wait? That isn’t clear.

And on the ground, at Newark airport where my stopover would take place, crews are cleaning up, social distancing is required, but masks are optional.

Hazmat suit time again? Maybe.

All of this reminds me of a story my mother told about her pre-Holocaust family. Geographically close, but split by a hostile border, my mother’s kin couldn’t visit except on rare days when the squabbling Hungarian and Romanian authorities allowed a few hours of family reunification on no man’s land.

Until COVID, I thought the story had nothing to do with me. No more. As our sages teach us, our ancestors’ lives are templates for our own.

So what to do? Pray and wait for a vaccine or for airports and airlines to revise their policies? Or perhaps some tech genius will copy the Jetsons — that 1960s futuristic cartoon family with a private, flying car.

Until that happens, I’m staying home. As to my family — we’ll visit on Facetime for now.

Carol Ungar is a freelance writer and author of “Jewish Soul Food” (2015).

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.