John Galliano Sues Dior for $18M Over Firing

John Galliano Image by getty images
Designer John Galliano reportedly has filed an $18.7 million lawsuit against Christian Dior, the fashion house that fired him for anti-Semitic speech.
On Tuesday, the website of the London-based The Daily Telegraph reported that Galliano “is believed” to have lodged an employee/employer dispute claim with the French labor court, with a Paris hearing scheduled for Feb. 4.
The Vogue website reported the following day that “a spokesperson” for Galliano “refused to comment on rumours” that Galliano had sued.
Christian Dior fired Galliano, a British national, last year after he was filmed making anti-Semitic statements at a Paris bar. Galliano stated his love for Adolf Hitler and told people he believed were Jewish that their mothers should have been gassed. He blamed his outbursts on addictions to drugs and alcohol.
On Aug. 20, the French government journal published a decree signed by French President Francois Hollande which said that Galliano, 51, may no longer wear the French Legion of Honor medal that he received in 2009.
Last year, a French court ruled that Galliano had made “public insults based on origin, religious affiliation, race or ethnicity” in several incidents.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
