Netanyahu Plays Haredi Card as Talks Stall

Image by getty images
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threatened on Wednesday to open lightning-round negotiations with the ultra-Orthodox parties following the aggressive stance taken by Yesh Atid’s leader Yair Lapid.
“If there isn’t a breakthrough with Lapid in the coming hours, and he doesn’t back down from his exaggerated demands, the prime minister will began lightning talks with the Haredi parties,” the Likud party said in a statement.
Sources close to the negotiations stated that Lapid backtracked Wednesday morning from a number of understandings that had been previously reached, and at the same time has refused to show any flexibility regarding the long list of topics being discussed by the negotiation teams.
“It’s still too early to label the talks a failure, but there’s no doubt that Lapid’s negotiation team is letting us down with the tack they are taking,” said a Likud source involved in the negotiations.
For more, go to Haaretz.com
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
