Jimmy Carter Blames Netanyahu for ‘Zero Chance’ of Two-State Solution

Image by Getty Images
Former President Jimmy Carter believes there is “zero chance” for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and places the blame on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“These are the worst prospects for peace between Israel and the Palestinians for years,” Carter said in an interview with Prospect magazine published Thursday and first cited in the Times of Israel.
The one-term Democrat, who brokered the historic Egypt-Israel peace accords at Camp David in 1978, added that Netanyahu “does not now and has never sincerely believed in a two-state solution for Israel and Palestine,” the stated goal of a series of negotiations, most recently ones led by Secretary of State John Kerry that ended unsuccessfully last year.
Carter’s new book, “A Full Life: Reflections at 90,” was published in July and includes personal reflections as well as pronouncements about various conflict regions, including the Middle East, according to the Prospect article.
“The Netanyahu government decided early on to adopt a one-state solution,” Carter told Prospect, referring to Israel’s continued control of the West Bank.
Palestinians “will never get equal rights [to Israeli Jews, while Israel occupies the West Bank],” he said, but added that he would like a campaign to give them “more equal rights.”
Asked if Israel is heading for apartheid, Carter said, “I am reluctant to use that word in a news article.”
Carter’s 2007 book “Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid” was widely criticized in the Jewish and pro-Israel community for its allegedly one-sided description of the conflict.
In the Prospect interview, Carter also praised the Iran nuclear deal, which the Israeli government and many American Jewish organizations oppose.
Asked about the threat of nuclear proliferation in the region, Carter noted that Israel has “at least 150 to 200” nuclear weapons.
Carter revealed Wednesday that he has cancer that has spread to other parts of his body.
The Forward is free to read, but it isn’t free to produce

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward.
At a time when other newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall and invested additional resources to report on the ground from Israel and around the U.S. on the impact of the war, rising antisemitism and polarized discourse.
Readers like you make it all possible. We’ve started our Passover Fundraising Drive, and we need 1,800 readers like you to step up to support the Forward by April 21. Members of the Forward board are even matching the first 1,000 gifts, up to $70,000.
This is a great time to support independent Jewish journalism, because every dollar goes twice as far.
— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO