Beet tahini and silan (date honey) tahini make a brightly colored pairing.
After tasting a beet-flavored tahini dip recently, I decided to . With the help of 20 pounds of tahini, I came up with a few dozen extremely easy recipes for colorful, flavorful tahini. Here are a few to get you started:
2 medium beets
½ cup of tahini
1 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoons salt
1) Preheat oven to 480˚ F.
2) Wrap beets in foil and roast in the oven for about an hour, until the beets are soft. Cut off the skin and process in food processor until you get a smooth spread.
3) Add tahini, lemon juice and salt. Stir until well mixed. You may also top the spread with fresh yogurt, chives or green onions.
Chocolate pistachio tahini spread
½ cup of tahini
100 grams (3.5 oz) dark chocolate, 70% cacao
2 teaspoons chopped pistachio
1) Break up the chocolate into small pieces. Place the chocolate in a non-plastic bowl over a pot of lightly steaming water. Stirring constantly, move the chocolate around until it begins to melt. Continue stirring until the chocolate has fully melted. Remove the bowl from the pot.
2) Add the tahini and continue stirring until well mixed. Add some chopped pistachio on the top before serving.
Sesame-chia seed spread
¼ cup tahini
2 teaspoons chia seed
¼ teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
1) Mix tahini with chia seed.
2) Add lemon juice and salt. Stir until well-mixed.
Note: When you prepare the above spreads, add tahini and lemon juice gradually and mix until you reach the desired texture. Amounts added will depend on your preference for the tahini’s thickness.
Amalia Katz-Magen is an Israeli entrepreneur and a foodie with a passion for Middle Eastern cuisine. Amalia founded Sesame Story Shop, an online Mediterranean food marketplace, in 2014.