This is the perfect finish to a family meal. Our family has one, and only one, person who will always make this dessert. No one else has it in them to even give it a shot. I’ve changed it so that it’s more of an American-Israeli cross between a crumble cheesecake and a whipped-cream kind of dessert. I’ve also added pecans because I like the texture it adds to the crumble. This is a great dessert to bring to the next dinner party you’re invited to. Super easy and can be made ahead!
14 tablespoons room-temperature unsalted butter
⅓ cup dark-brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups self-rising flour
¼ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup chopped pecans
1 cup heavy whipping cream (35%–40%)
½ cup sugar
1 cup Labane or sour cream
1 cup mascarpone
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla-bean paste
¼ teaspoon salt
1) Preheat the oven to 325˚ F.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the yolks and vanilla and continue creaming for another 3 minutes. Add in the flour and salt and mix on low until the dough comes together.
3) Transfer ½ of the dough into an 8-inch x 11-inch baking dish and press it evenly along the bottom.
4) Add the pecans to the remaining dough and mix to combine. Transfer the pecan dough to a separate 8-inch x 11-inch baking dish and press it evenly along the bottom. This will be your crumb topping, so you can use a different-size baking dish, but keep it similar in size.
5) Bake for 12–15 minutes until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
6) In a bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Add the labane, mascarpone, vanilla-bean paste and salt. Whip on medium speed to combine until light and airy, 3–4 minutes.
7) Spread the cheesecake mixture onto the plain cookie crust in an even layer. Using your hands, crumble the pecan cookie sheet evenly over the cheesecake. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
Recipe reprinted from “Modern Israeli Cooking” with permission from Page Street Publishing.
This story "#TBT From Bubbe’s Kitchen: Whipped Cheesecake" was written by Danielle Oron.