Ratatouille With Baked Tofu
Tofu ratatouille makes a great vegetarian main dish.
- Make: Bean Salad With Couscous
When I’m craving something stew-like, I love to make veggie ratatouille. Topping it with tofu gives the meal more substance, and I often buy baked tofu that’s already marinated. This dish pairs particularly well with a sesame-ginger-flavored tofu.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 yellow onions, halved and sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 small Italian eggplants
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1) Slice the eggplant and zucchini so that the slices are about ¼ inch thick. If the slices of eggplant start to get large, cut them in half.
2) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
3) Add the garlic, zucchini and eggplant and sauté another 5 minutes.
4) Add the diced tomatoes with the juice, and the salt, pepper, thyme and sage. Stir to combine. When the juice starts to bubble, turn the heat to medium-low and cover. Let the vegetables cook for another 7 minutes, or until the zucchini and eggplant are tender.
5) Serve with baked tofu on top.
Jean Hanks is the food intern at the Forward. Contact her at [email protected]