Inquest: Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning by the Forward

Inquest: Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

Image by Getty Images

Amy Winehouse drank “a very large quantity of alcohol” and died a “death by misadventure” a London pathologist declared today. Coroner Suzanne Greenway said that Winenouse “had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre (of blood) and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death.”

Previously no cause had been given for the 27-year-old singer’s July 23 death in her London home, and no illegal drugs were found in her system. The new results come from toxicology tests conducted as part of an inquest by London’s St. Pancras Coroner’s Office and Court.

Winehouse had long struggled with alcohol and drug abuse, and it was previously speculated that she might have died from detoxing too quickly. According to the Guardian, at the time of her death Winehouse had just started drinking again after three weeks of sobriety.

Author

Ezra Glinter

Ezra Glinter

Ezra Glinter is the critic-at-large of the Forward.

Inquest: Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

Your Comments

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. All readers can browse the comments, and all Forward subscribers can add to the conversation. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.

Recommend this article

Inquest: Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

Thank you!

This article has been sent!

Close