Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.

Support the Forward

Funded by readers like you DonateSubscribe
The Schmooze

How A Palestinian Internet Star and Israeli Mormon Jew Found Love Online

There is no reason that Nuseir Yassin and Alyne Tamir should be dating.

He is Palestinian. She’s Israeli. He’s Muslim, she comes from Jewish and Mormon traditions. He is two years younger than her. When they met, her divorce was barely finalized. She’s a vegetarian. He loves to eat meat.

And yet.

Yassin, an internet sensation who runs the Facebook and YouTube page “Nas Daily”, announced his relationship earlier today with a video that he said he hoped would address worries that “a million people” share about their significant others: that “they’re not the right age, religion, race, or country.”

Last year Yassin, a graduate of Harvard who hails from the Galilee, quit his engineering job in New York City and began traveling the world posting daily, one minute-long videos of himself living “the best possible life”.

Yassin decided to make drastic changes in his life when he realized how much of it was over. “The average life expectancy for a man is 76 years old,” he says in one video. “I am 25, so I am 32% done with life, and I want to fill the remaining 68% of my life with people.”

Now he has filled it with Tamir, an Israeli-American who introduced herself to him online after watching his “Day 58” video about Jerusalem (today’s dating announcement video was Day 445). According to Yassin, she wrote to him, “Cool video. I like Jerusalem too. We should be friends.”

Yassin and Tamir’s joint video has garnered over 50,000 responses from Nas Daily’s 1.6 million followers, many recounting the joys and difficulties of their non-traditional relationships.

Yassin thanked his followers for a response he called “borderline scary but heartwarming.”

Jenny Singer is a writer for the Forward. You can reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter @jeanvaljenny.

Engage

  • SHARE YOUR FEEDBACK

  • UPCOMING EVENT

    SKY & SCULPTURE

    Hybrid: Online and at the Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan

    Oct 2, 2022

    6:30 pm ET · 

    A Sukkah, IMKHA, created by artist Tobi Kahn, for the Marlene Meyerson JCC of Manhattan is an installation consisting of 13 interrelated sculpted painted wooden panels, constituting a single work of art. Join for a panel discussion with Rabbi Joanna Samuels, Chief Executive Director of the Marlene Meyerson JCC of Manhattan, Talya Zax, Innovation Editor of the Forward, and Tobi Kahn, Artist. Moderated by Mattie Kahn.

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.