Skip To Content
JEWISH. INDEPENDENT. NONPROFIT.
Community

‘Normal’ life is usually not easy to start with for people on the autism spectrum — and this pandemic is making it even worse

A home office with a laptop on a desk by a window, a plant, and a couch.

Image by iStock

The global coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world has taken the lives of many. But in addition to the massive loss it’s left in its wake, it has also illuminated exacerbated many preexisting conditions. Mine is one of them.

As a public service during this pandemic, the Forward is providing free, unlimited access to all coronavirus articles. If you’d like to support our independent Jewish journalism, click here.

I have autism, and living with autism through a lockdown has been incredibly challenging. Autistic people crave our routines. Many of us see these routines as something akin to our own DNA. I know I do; it was one of the ways I was able to diagnose myself with autism as a teen back in 2002.

For the past few years, I had a routine, thanks to my full time job. I worked at an office four days a week and I worked at home by telework for one day a week.

During the pandemic, I have been lucky, and have not to have lost my job, unlike many in this economic crisis. Like many others, and I’ve been able to transition to teleworking five days a week. I don’t need anything but a remotely connected laptop or computer for work.

But things have changed in other areas of my life. Now, besides my immediate family, I don’t see anyone anymore. Before the crisis, I used to go out sometimes for work or leisure on weekends with my laptop. Besides the office, I spent time in coffee shops or pubs with wifi.

Now, everywhere that had these amenities are closed indefinitely. Now, the big question of the day is in which room do I do my work in and on which chair or sofa do I sit. I’ve lost the sense of time now that different days don’t vary at all. I no longer recognize specific days anymore. Rather, time feels like a blob without name with very little to mark whether today is a workday or a weekend.

When you’ve lost all of your daily routines, you feel a mixture of all the negative emotions in your head. You feel lost, disoriented and sometimes sick. It feels like living in an open-air prison where you can go outside for a brief walk a few minutes a day.

It’s clear that the dog days of the COVID-19 lockdown are tough for everyone. But for people living on the autism spectrum, they are basically small, daily battles full of struggles and with our small universe collapsing in real life in front of our own eyes.

In most western countries, sadly, the vast majority of people who are too young to remember the last World War have not lived periods of such privations and rationing. Few people who lived the Spanish Flu after World War I are still alive today. “Normal” life is usually not easy to start with for people on the autism spectrum — and this pandemic is making it even worse because we are without routine and lonely because of social distancing.

What could be done to help someone with autism for days like today?

Perhaps the best gift you could give in these difficult times is to have communication by remote means with someone you may know who is on the autism spectrum just to cheer him or her up and to tell him or her that sometimes the light on the end of the tunnel will be there one day.

In these extraordinary times, perhaps people with autism are wise after all to pray for our unextraordinary daily mechanical routines. Why? Because even if this routine could be considered boring for some, it could be a source of joy and inner peace when you lived through weeks and weeks of social isolation and possibly with some weeks or even months to come in some lockdowns around the world.

Mathieu Vaillancourt is a writer and policy analyst. He is the holder of a degree in International Development and Globalization.

I hope you appreciated this article. Before you go, I’d like to ask you to please support the Forward’s award-winning journalism this Passover.

In this age of misinformation, our work is needed like never before. We report on the news that matters most to American Jews, driven by truth, not ideology.

At a time when newsrooms are closing or cutting back, the Forward has removed its paywall. That means for the first time in our 126-year history, Forward journalism is free to everyone, everywhere. With an ongoing war, rising antisemitism, and a flood of disinformation that may affect the upcoming election, we believe that free and open access to Jewish journalism is imperative.

Readers like you make it all possible. Right now, we’re in the middle of our Passover Pledge Drive and we still need 300 people to step up and make a gift to sustain our trustworthy, independent journalism.

Make a gift of any size and become a Forward member today. You’ll support our mission to tell the American Jewish story fully and fairly. 

— Rachel Fishman Feddersen, Publisher and CEO

Join our mission to tell the Jewish story fully and fairly.

Only 300 more gifts needed by April 30

Republish This Story

Please read before republishing

We’re happy to make this story available to republish for free, unless it originated with JTA, Haaretz or another publication (as indicated on the article) and as long as you follow our guidelines. You must credit the Forward, retain our pixel and preserve our canonical link in Google search.  See our full guidelines for more information, and this guide for detail about canonical URLs.

To republish, copy the HTML by clicking on the yellow button to the right; it includes our tracking pixel, all paragraph styles and hyperlinks, the author byline and credit to the Forward. It does not include images; to avoid copyright violations, you must add them manually, following our guidelines. Please email us at [email protected], subject line “republish,” with any questions or to let us know what stories you’re picking up.

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.