Terrorists Owe 9/11 Victims $6B: Court
A United States Federal Court has recommended that Iran, the Taliban and al-Qaeda pay $6 billion in compensation to the families of the victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
The symbolic decision on Monday came as a recommendation in response to a lawsuit brought by relatives of 47 victims, which was decided in the relatives’ favor last year, according to the Associated Press.
“It’s hard being happy, but I am happy about it,” plaintiff Ellen Saracini, wife of one of the captains of a plane that hit the World Trade Center, told the AP.”But it opens up old wounds. We were never in it for a lawsuit. I wanted to know what happened to my husband.”
Iran has repeatedly denied any connection to the attacks, according to the AP, but gave several of the terrorists passage through the country.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
