Looted 2,000-Year-Old Stones Returned to Israeli Museum

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
Two Roman artifacts, each more than 2,000 years old, were left in the courtyard of an Israeli museum accompanied by an anonymous note whose author claimed to have stolen them two decades earlier.
The two sling stones left at the Museum of Islamic and Near Eastern Cultures in Beersheba last week will be forwarded to the National Treasures Department of the Israel Antiquities Authority, according to a news release issued Monday by Israel’s Government Press Office.
The typed letter accompanying the two stones said, “These are two Roman ballista balls from Gamla, from a residential quarter at the foot of the summit. I stole them in July 1995 and since then they have brought me nothing but trouble. Please, do not steal antiquities!”
According to the Government Press Office, many similar stones are now on display in the Gamla Nature Reserve, in the Golan Heights.
Danny Syon, an Israel Antiquities Authority official who excavated at Gamla for many years, said the stones date from the Early Roman period and were shot by Romans at the defenders of the city.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
