Try this contemporary twist on an old favorite. This is not your mama’s matzo ball soup — but with the added THC and CBD, I’m sure she’ll kvell with sheer delight. Tasty medicated matzo balls? What’s not to love, bubby!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Approximate THC per serving:
Approximate dose per serving is based on infusing 5 grams of cured/dried/decarbed cannabis into 5 ounces of oil.
10%: 3.8 mg
15%: 5.7 mg
20%: 7.6 mg
For the broth
10 cups water
1 whole chicken, cut into eighths
1 beef bone (optional, for a heartier soup)
1 cup carrots, in rounds (reserve ½ cup)
1 cup celery, sliced (reserve ½ cup)
1 celery root, whole or halved to fit in pot
½ cup parsnip, cubed (reserve ¼ cup)
½ cup turnip, in rounds (reserve ¼ cup)
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
4 sprigs fresh dill (reserve 1 sprig)
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
3 to 5 whole cloves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the potzo balls
1 cup matzo meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon canna–olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons light olive oil
4 tablespoons seltzer or soda water
1) Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups water.
2) Place the chicken, beef bone (if using), carrots, celery, celery root, parsnip, turnip, onion and dill in a soup sock or wrap and tie in cheesecloth. Add bay leaf, turmeric, peppercorns, cloves and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
3)Remove the chicken and set aside.
4) Remove the vegetables and discard.
Make the potzo balls
5) In a medium bowl, mix together the matzo meal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
6) In another bowl, whisk together eggs, canna–olive oil mixture, and seltzer or soda water.
7) Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
8) Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
9) Bring the soup to a boil. Using an ice cream scoop for uniformity, drop matzo balls into the simmering soup. Add the reserved vegetables, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
10) Shred the chicken and place it in serving bowls. Add the broth and potzo balls and serve immediately.
Reprinted from “The 420 Gourmet” by JeffThe420Chef. Copyright © 2016 by JeffThe420Chef. Reprinted courtesy of Harper Wave, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.