Treasure Hunters Raid Sobibor Graves

The graves of Holocaust victims at the Sobibor Nazi death camp in Poland have been dug up by treasure hunters.

The mass graves were discovered to have been disturbed during an archeological dig, the Daily Mail online reported on Monday.

“There has been a big archaeological project going on, but when we started excavating we discovered that people had already been digging near to where the gas chamber had been in Camp Three,” a museum source told MailOnline. “We found lots of pits which were nothing to do with us and clearly weren’t professionally dug by scientists. We don’t know who did it, but we suspect they were looking for gold or metal.”

“The idea that thieves have been here looking for such disturbing mementos is truly shocking,” the source also said.

Up to 300,000 people, most Jewish, were killed at Sobibor.

Poles dug for valuables on the sites of Nazi death camps at the end of World War II, American-Polish historian Jan Gross, who described the “Treblinka Gold Rush” in his book “Golden Harvest,” claims.

Author

Your Comments

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. All readers can browse the comments, and all Forward subscribers can add to the conversation. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, The Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not and will be deleted. Egregious commenters or repeat offenders will be banned from commenting. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, our spam filter prevents most links and certain key words from being posted and the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for any reason.

Recommend this article

Treasure Hunters Raid Sobibor Graves

Thank you!

This article has been sent!

Close