Arson Probe Launched In Las Vegas Chabad Fires

Graphic by Angelie Zaslavsky
(JTA) — Two fires at a Las Vegas Chabad building prompted an arson investigation by the Las Vegas Fire Department.
A car was set ablaze Monday night in the parking lot of Chabad of Southern Nevada, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported. Earlier on Monday evening, a trash can was set on fire in a restroom inside the building.
No one was hurt in either incident.
The NBC affiliate News 3 reported Tuesday morning that an arrest had been made in the incident, citing Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski.
Arrest made in connection with arson fires at Chabad of Sn Nevada. Getting the details to issue a media release soon. Suspect at CCDC. PIO1 pic.twitter.com/sFUF5MBCHD
— Tim Szymanski (@firepeio) May 9, 2017
“Unfortunately, throughout the thousands of years of Jewish history, we’ve been targets of multiple attacks, after attack after attack. God is with us and he protects us and the Jewish nation thrives. The Jewish nation is alive and we’re getting better and were getting stronger.” Chabad Rabbi Levi Harlig told News 3.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
, editor-in-chief