Newsman Reports Bogus Disney Abduction Story
An Israeli reporter was suspended after reporting on an unfounded story that an Israeli girl was briefly abducted at Disney World in Orlando.
Sivan Cohen of Israel’s Channel 10 reported during Sunday’s news broadcast that the incident that she said “sounds like an urban legend” occurred over Passover. She reported that a 9-year-old Israeli girl was taken from her parents and was later found using security camera tapes in a bathroom stall drugged and with her head shaved.
On Monday night the station confirmed on the evening news that the story was false and that the reporter had been “mislead” by a source, one of the allegedly abducted girl’s parents. The story was not confirmed by Disney.
The hoax reportedly is well-known in the United States.
“Cohen has been suspended until the examination into the circumstances that led to the story airing is concluded,” the channel said in a statement.
Why I became the Forward’s editor-in-chief
You are surely a friend of the Forward if you’re reading this. And so it’s with excitement and awe — of all that the Forward is, was, and will be — that I introduce myself to you as the Forward’s newest editor-in-chief.
And what a time to step into the leadership of this storied Jewish institution! For 129 years, the Forward has shaped and told the American Jewish story. I’m stepping in at an intense time for Jews the world over. We urgently need the Forward’s courageous, unflinching journalism — not only as a source of reliable information, but to provide inspiration, healing and hope.
— Alyssa Katz, editor-in-chief
